Tim Finney is a senior class action practitioner, specialising in shareholder class actions and auditor claims.
Tim has substantial experience in complex financial services and financial product litigation, including claims against banks, large trustee companies, financial advisors and brokers.
Before co-founding Phi Finney McDonald, Tim managed the commercial class actions group in one of Australia’s largest plaintiff law firms.
At Phi Finney McDonald, Tim supervises complex litigation with an approach that combines high quality legal work with efficient case management and an emphasis on strategy. As a manager of litigation teams, he focuses on encouraging junior and mid-level lawyers to develop their skills and confidence in a challenging but supportive team-based environment.
Accolades and Awards
- ‘[An] Intellectual titan of the collective claims industry… I have yet to find the question to which Tim Finney could not answer in great detail.’ Testimonial, Legal 500 Asia Pacific.
- Doyle’s Guides 2020, Lawyer (Recommended), Commercial Litigation and Dispute Resolution – Victoria
- Doyle’s Guide 2019, Lawyer (Recommended), Commercial Litigation and Dispute Resolution – Victoria
- Tim Finney, ‘Pleading defendant knowledge in securities class actions: are allegations premised on inferences sufficient?’ (2018) 31(4) Commercial Law Quarterly, 21
- Ben Phi and Tim Finney, ‘Establishing causation in Australian shareholder class actions’ (2015), Precedent (Sydney, NSW), No. 129, Jul/Aug 2015
Admissions and Education
- Admitted as a solicitor in Victoria, Australia
- Registered with the SRA as a Registered Foreign Lawyer
- LLB (Hons), BA (Hons), MA, Monash University
- GDLP, College of Law